Following our Ofsted inspection in March 2023, the Academy was continued to be judged ‘Good' with 'Outstanding Features’.
Considering all the recent publicity regarding Ofsted, the inspection process was extremely positive and useful in terms of looking at school improvement and the inspector was very thorough in her inspection of our school. Ofsted have continued to judge Oasis Academy Ryelands ‘Good’ with ‘Outstanding’ features as this was an ungraded inspection. This is a fantastic achievement considering that we have implemented a new curriculum, assessment system, behaviour system and introduced the iPads into supporting and enhancing learning in the last two years. The inspector talked very positively about the ethos of the school and our wonderful children, stating that, “Pupils are proud of their school and confidently talk about their learning experiences.” Behaviour was described by the inspector as a strength of the school. The reports says “Leaders teach pupils the values and behaviours expected of them. Behaviour in lessons is calm, and pupils are kept safe here.”
We would like to use this opportunity to thank the hard-working, talented staff team at Oasis Academy Ryelands who provide your children with a great education. Due to this hard work, the inspector noted that “Leaders have created an ambitious curriculum for all pupils”. Reading is promoted and “Leaders have placed a high priority on reading”. The Inspector looked in depth at Phonics and Early Reading, Mathematics and Computing as well as Science, Art and History. They also looked closely at behaviour, personal development and teacher workload.
Other highlights from the report include the following:
- The arrangements for safeguarding are effective.
- Leaders provide exceptional opportunities for pupils’ personal development.
- The school has high expectations of all pupils.
- Teachers provide a language-rich environment, developing children’s vocabulary.
- Teachers develop pupils’ mathematical understanding consistently across the school.
- Teachers have secure subject knowledge and adapt learning to support all pupils.
- Leaders encourage pupils to have high aspirations.
- Leaders identify areas for development accurately.
- Staff feel valued and supported by leaders. Teachers enjoy working collaboratively with leaders in school and across the academy.
Areas for development
As a leadership team, we worked with the inspector to identify the following areas for improvement:
- Leaders’ new curriculum plans in some subjects are not fully implemented. This leads to gaps in pupils’ knowledge and understanding. Leaders should ensure that all new curriculum planning is fully implemented, so that pupils can build on subject-specific skills consistently.
This was already part of our school improvement plan. This year we have been supporting our teachers to develop their roles as subject leaders whilst further developing an engaging curriculum that will inspire our children to learn effectively. We are delighted that Ofsted have recognised the work that has started and have confirmed that we are moving in the right direction.
Thank you to every member of the school and the wider Trust who are working tirelessly to make Oasis Academy Ryelands a wonderful place for children to learn. Also, thank you to parents and carers for your welcomed support. Oasis Academy Ryelands will continue to build on our successes whilst maintaining our ethos of an aspirational, inclusive and caring school.
A full copy of Ofsted's Inspection Report can be viewed and downloaded here.
To see a full list of previous inspections along with our current report, please visit the Ofsted website.