Travelling to School
What is a School Travel Plan?
The School Travel Plan (STP) initiative was introduced in 2009 to encourage all schools to promote sustainable travel, in order to reduce congestion and pollution and increase healthier modes of travelling to school. The STP gives info on how people get to and from the school, identifies problems with safe and sustainable travel and sets objectives to resolve these issues.
Why Have a School Travel Plan?
Although not a mandatory policy, the Academy Council of Oasis Academy Ryelands has agreed that a regular review of the STP is the most effective way of identifying issues with any aspect of school travel and provides information to all stakeholders in a single, publicly available document.
School Travel Plan 2019/20
The main objectives on the 2019/20 STP are:
- Form a school travel working group
- Create a walking map zone for the school
- Look at maps to plan the travel with the children when going on trips
- Take part in Walk To School Month which will include Walk To School Week
- To increase the step count for the children and staff
- To publicise our sustainable travel work linked to reducing the cars into Oakley and Sandown Roads and invite our MP Sarah Jones to help encourage our work
- For EY to participate in Balance Bike Training
- For the working group to carry out an audit to find how parents and carers feel about the proposed reduction of car use in Oakley and Sandown Roads at certain times of the day.