Here at Oasis Academy Ryelands one of our main goals is:
To raise aspiration amongst students and ensure that all students make the best possible progress
We work hard to ensure students take their future destination very seriously, and are well informed. We make young people aware of the transferable skills needed to be employable and how they are developing these every day through activities both in and out of school.
We should start young: We introduce our children to the world of work through developing self-awareness, opportunity awareness and giving them the chance to meet and question adults about their work;
Collaboration is key: We work with Oasis Academy Arena and all schools within the Shirley Park Hub to develop a Community Hub.
How Oasis Academy Ryelands brings the working world into our school:
- Visits to Kidzania where the children have to earn their money by completing 'real life jobs' for Kidzo currency and begin to think about future careers
- Metro Bank visit in school and welcome our children into branch to show them how the money system works and how to budget effectively
- Tesco visits to show how the bakery runs and the expectations of the people who run businesses
- Visitors into school to talk about their careers and how they got to that point; these include police officers, firefighters, forensic scientists, authors and librarians
- University prospectuses in Year 6 book corners to show what the future can hold and how broad it can be
- Visit a university to observe and discuss all aspects of further education.
www.plotr.co.uk – one stop shop for careers inspiration and guidance
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk – need to know what grades, qualifications you need for a specific job?
www.careerscamel.com – for students, school leavers and graduates offering jobs, internships, advice and careers information
www.careersadviceforparents.org – a completely independent one stop shop for parents who want to understand the competing choices that are available for school and college leavers
www.careerpilot.org.uk – Get information on careers and build your own profile
www.ucasprogress.com – search and apply resource to search for college and apprenticeship opportunities and send your application to a number of different places.
www.careersbox.co.uk – videos covering many different careers, apprenticeships and university information
www.barclayslifeskills.com – useful information and interactive resources on careers and preparing for the world of work
www.futuremorph.org – careers information for those with an interest in science, technology, engineering and maths
www.citb.co.uk – for those interested in a career within construction
www.rsc.org/careers/future – for those interested in a career within chemistry
www.mathscareers.org.uk – for those careers where maths is the key subject needed
www.tomorrowsengineers.org.uk – Discover and explore the diverse range of engineering careers
www.stepintothenhs.nhs.uk – careers information on the huge amount of jobs within the NHS.
www.skillsforcare.org.uk – information on careers within social care
www.careers-in-sport.co.uk – for those interested in a career within sport
www.growcareers.info – for those interested in a career within horticulture such as plant science, business, production, heritage and conservation
www.lawcareers.net – information for bussing barristers, solicitors and legal jobs
https://www.gov.uk/further-education-skills/apprenticeships – general information on apprenticeships plus live vacancies to apply for